Cruising around the world on an aluminum catamaran.

Monday, July 12, 2010

ROCM Certified! (That’s so you can talk on the VHF radio)


Less than three weeks until we start our island circumnavigation! 
Before we head out we figured it would probably be a good idea to get educated in at least one piece of emergency equipment, so Erin and I are no longer pirate radio operators.  We are now official rocm holders.  For you normal people, that is a Radio Operator's Certificate (Maritime) for the VHF radio.
If no longer being able to use the radio illegally and sitting through an eight hour course on VHF radio protocol sounds boring, you are probably right.  Not trying to say the guy teaching it wasn’t good, I couldn’t have done any better at salvaging that subject either.
Picture yourself sitting through eight hours of this one minute video…  On Saturday morning with a hangover…  I’m not sure if I feel that I am any better equipped than before the course.  I don’t really remember much of the course at all, but must have done something right to pass it.  All I can remember is repeat everything three times – this is Thunderpussy, Thunderpussy, Thunderpussy…

No comments:

Post a Comment